On June 6, 2016 DBSD celebrated its 50th Anniversary with a very special recital. The evening began with a video reminiscing about DBSD's first 50 years, generations of past DBSD dancers took the stage to perform a flash-mob anniversary dance, then DBSD's current dancers dazzled us with this season's routines. This is the Anniversary video that started the show...
The Doreen Bissett School of Dance (DBSD) is a private dance school operating in Transcona since 1966. We offer quality dance instruction in Tap, Jazz, Ballet, Pointe, Lyrical, Hip Hop, Breaking, Irish Dance, Jumps & Turns, Creative Movement, Pre-Dance and Musical Theatre. Our school year starts in September and concludes with a full costume recital in June.
Our MissionAt DBSD we want our dancers to realize their potential and follow their dreams. We have a place for the recreational dancer as well as the full time student. Every dancer and their dance education is equally important at DBSD. Work your hardest, have fun and we will take care of the rest!
- A warm friendly atmosphere.
- Supportive, knowledgeable and professional teachers.
- Excellent teacher to student ratio for all classes.
- ADAPT and Cecchetti exams.
- An Intensive Program for full-time dance enthusiasts.
- In and out of province competitions and workshops.
- T.A.P & Junior T.A.P. (Teacher Assistant Program).
- Tap, Jazz and Hip Hop performance team opportunities.
- Comfortable waiting area for parents.
CommunicationCommunication and parental involvement is very important to the success of your children's dance education and the success of DBSD. Do not hesitate to contact us with any questions, or concerns. You can arrange to speak with a teacher by contacting Ms. Barb by phone at 204-797-6293 or by email. We are always more than happy to help.
- DBSD staff have all passed a criminal background/child abuse registry check.
- From time to time we use photos and videos taken of our dancers at the studio and DBSD events for our website and pamphlets. Please know we never include names, ages or any other identifying information alongside any pictures used for these promotional materials.
- We are a nut-free environment.
Open HousesKeep an eye on the Dates & Events page for a listing of Open Houses throughout the year:
- Parents are invited to watch their children in action on one or more occasions throughout the year.
- Dancers can invite a friend during 'Bring A Friend To Dance' week. It’s fun sharing your passion with your friends!
- We have many Open House days over the summer, where you can come try a class, register for next year, pick up pictures and browse through items during our annual Dance Clothing and Shoe Sale.
"To watch us dance is to hear our hearts speak"